Cities play a key role in supporting implementation of the Paris Agreement by promoting the co-benefits of climate mitigation and adaptation. On 18 November 2016, the ELEEP Network network hosted an official COP 22 side event in Marrakech on the topic "Transatlantic Perspectives on Integrating Climate Mitigation and Adaptation in Cities".
This event presented best practices across E.U. and U.S. cities for integrating policies using a stakeholder-centered approach and discussed the evolving role of cities in a changing political environment. Following a keynote address, the event featured a moderated panel discussion drawing on findings and experiences from ELEEP and the EU research project Post-Carbon Cities of Tomorrow (POCACITO).
· Bärbel Höhn, MdB – Green Party, MP German Bundestag, Chair of the Committee on the Environment, Nature Conservancy and Nuclear Safety
· Tüzin Baycan – Professor of Urban and Regional Planning, Istanbul Technical University
· Anne Jensen – Senior Researcher, Aarhus University
· Axum Teferra – Clean Energy Planner, Boston Metropolitan Area Planning Council
· Max Grünig – President of Ecologic Institute US / POCACITO Project Coordinator